In today’s busy world, not everyone has time to curl up with books and reading. One good choice for busy nerds is audio books, and the best thing about listening to audio books is that you can do this while driving, walking, while exercising, or even during a flight. If you want to read more, you will be glad to know that you can listen to lots of free audio books directly on your iPhone & iPad.
If you have not committed to the audiobook, you may be hesitant to spend money on the audiobook, but fortunately there are several websites that you can use to access audiobooks for free. For example, Librivox is a website made up of volunteers from all over the world who read and record public domain texts to create free audio books that can be downloaded to your iOS and iPadOS devices.
In addition, you can use third-party applications to manage and listen to audiobooks that are downloaded offline as well.
Interested in learning how to get free audio books on your iPhone or iPad? Perfect, then read on!
How to Listen to Free Audio Books on iPhone & iPad
Before you go to Librivox and start exploring their library, you must install the BookPlayer application from the Apple App Store. This application allows you to import & listen to audio books that you download, and helps maintain an audio book library.
- Open “Safari” on your iPhone or iPad and visit librivox.org. Here, you can search for audiobooks by author, title, or reader by typing in the search box as shown below.
- After the website loads your search results, tap on the title of the audio book to see all the chapters. You also have the option to download all chapters as a single ZIP file.
- Now, long press on the play icon right next to a particular chapter.
- This will open the action menu. Select “Download Linked File” to start downloading a particular chapter.
- As you can see here, the Safari download manager has started downloading mp3 audio book files.
- After the download is complete, open the “BookPlayer” application on your device. (Download Bookplayer from the App Store)
- Now, tap on “Add your first book” as shown in the image below.
- This will bring up the File application menu where you can browse the downloaded audio book. By default, this is saved in the Downloads directory. Tap an audio book to add it to your library.
- Your BookPlayer library will be updated soon. Tap the audio book to start listening to it immediately.
Quite a lot, if you follow successfully all now have access to free audio books that you can listen to and download to your iPhone or iPad.
It is important to note that if you choose to download all chapters as a single ZIP file, all you need to unzip the file first before you can add it to your BookPlayer audio book library.
It is worth mentioning that the BookPlayer application is not required to listen to audio books because you can only listen to files downloaded in the Files application. However, a clean user interface and library management makes listening to audio books a pleasant experience.
Librovox is not the only source that gives you access to free audio books. You can find thousands of audio books at archive.org and gutenberg.org which can be downloaded to your iOS or iPadOS device in a very similar way.
And if you are interested in audio books and are willing to pay more (and often with high-quality narration), you can use Audible to access a large library of audio books for only $ 14.95 per month. Amazon offers a free 30 day trial for Audible, so you can enjoy several books and decide for yourself whether it’s worth spending money.